By Lynn Schofer

The Woodbridge boys’ soccer team won its third match of the season in a 4-2 road win over Seaford. Freshman Jason Santos-Gonzalez led Woodbridge with four goals in the win while Seaford’s goals were scored by sophomore Gabriele Colasuonno. 

Woodbridge collected the first shot on goal in the early minutes of play. The line of Jason Santos-Gonzalez, Wilmer Gonzalez-Deleon,and Kevin Gonzalez-Deleon passed effortlessly as they moved the attack to the Seaford circle. The sharing of the ball and spreading of the offense paid off with the first score at the 10th minute of play. 

Seaford half back Erick Sorcia Nava and Woodbridge’s forward Jason Santos-Gonzalez had many battles throughout the match for ball possession. Photo by Lynn Schofer

Seaford’s Francesco Colasuonno was inches from tying up the game but his shot was wide for the side out. Seaford attacked for two shots on goal and saves by Woodbridge’s Yandel Torres-Rodriguez. A clearing play and change of fields to Santos-Gonzalez was enough for the 2-0 lead at the 16 minute of play in the first half.  

Woodbridge’s aggressive play at midfield and a pass to the middle brought out the sophomore goal keep Luke Metzner who was taken down by his full back Angel Chavez-Santosa as he also went for the ball.  Santos-Gonzalez had an open net for the 3-0 score at the 18 minute.   

Seaford attacked but were denied penetration by Steven Diaz Ortiz, Joshua Trejo-Ocampo, and Greyson Diamond. The Blue Jays’ Gabriele Colasuonno crossed the ball to Francesco Colasuonno whose shot was wide of the net. Seaford was awarded a corner kick and the Woodbridge goalkeeper came up with the save to keep the 3-0 lead. 

The Blue Jays collected possession and attacked the circle where they tackled and awarded the penalty kick. Gabriele Colasuonno netted the ball for the 3-1 score. Seaford mounted several shots on goal against Woodbridge over the next minute of play and Torres-Rodriguez stopped every shot. 

In the second half, Seaford continued the assault on the goal but were denied including a hard on line shot that ricocheted off the left bar and back to goal keep for the save. Woodbridge’s Santos-Gonzalez then scored at the 42 minute while Seaford’s Colasuonno scored at the 48 minute for the final of 4-2.